Ahh tomato soup. Creamy, tangy, calming, cozy tomato soup. I cannot imagine anything more comforting that a big cup of this tomato nectar. Best part. This is super easy and it takes only 30 min to make. Here we go…
Start by sauteing 1/2 a medium white onion in a few tablespoons of garlic over medium heat. Sprinkle a 1/2 tsp of Kosher salt and a few cranks of fresh pepper over the onions and allow them to soften.
After the onions begin to become translucent add 2 – 3 cloves of chopped garlic.
Then a good pinch of red pepper flakes. Add more or less depending on your taste preference.
Cook for another 30 sec – 1 min and then add 4 cups of good quality or homemade chicken stock.
Bring the chicken stock to a low simmer and then add 1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes, and using your hands, break up the whole tomatoes into the sauce. DON’T add the extra juice that is in the whole tomatoes! It will make the sauce too watery. (Unless the tomatoes are packed in a tomato pasted instead of juice). These are the tomatoes I recommend…
Then add 1 TB (this is a lot of soup) of Kosher salt, and 1 tsp black pepper.
Mix everything together until combined.
Bring the soup to a low boil, cover, and let cook for 15 min. You can leave it cooking for longer if you would like.
A few minutes before the soup is done, put a few crackers on a sheet pan and place a piece of thinly sliced cheese over the top.
Broil the crackers for 2 – 3 minutes until the cheese is just melted and bubbly.
When the soup is done, you have the option to stir in 1/2 cup of half and half to make the soup a little extra creamy. You can also add a splash of sherry if you have it on hand. I opted for both these options.
Ladle the soup into bowls or large coffee cups and serve with the cheese toasts!
- 3 TB olive oil
- 1 cup white onion, chopped (about 1/2 medium to large onion)
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 4 cups good quality or homemade chicken stock
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 28 oz can whole tomatoes
- 1/2 cup half and half (optional)
- 1/2 cup dry sherry (optional)
- Kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper
- Sliced cheese of your choice (recommended cheddar or Gruyere)
- Saute the onions in the olive oil over medium heat. Add 1/2 tsp Kosher salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper over onions and allow the onions to begin to sweat and become translucent.
- Add the chopped garlic and pinch of red pepper and allow to cook for another 30 sec - 1 min or until the garlic becomes fragrant. Do not allow the garlic to color at all.
- Add the chicken stock and allow it to come to a low simmer.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and then using your hands, break up the whole tomatoes into the soup. Do NOT add the extra juice from the whole tomatoes as it will water down the soup. Add 1 TB of Kosher salt and 1 tsp black pepper and stir the tomatoes and seasonings into the soup until combined.
- Bring the soup to a low boil, cover, and allow the soup to cook for another 15 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking place the crackers on a baking sheet and place the cheese slices on the crackers. Place under the broiler for 2 - 3 minutes until just bubbly and melted.
- Add the half and half and sherry (optional). Stir into the soup.
- Ladle the soup into soup bowls or large coffee cups and serve with the cheese crisps.
- The longer the soup cooks the more flavor it will develop. If you do cook it for more than 15 minutes, turn the heat to low.