In-laws visiting? Company coming? Feeling Special? Going to a breakfast pot-luck? Want to impress your significant other and blow their mind with a crazy awesome breakfast casserole? There are about 1,000 reasons why you should make this gooey, delicious breakfast casserole so just make it. The best part… you can make it a couple days before and just keep it covered in the fridge until you’re ready to make it. Okay let’s get started.
Begin by peeling and shredding two Yukon gold potatoes.
NONE OF THIS PRE-MADE, I-COME-IN-A-BAG, FROZEN HASBROWNS! You might as well buy a one way ticked to preservative city! Just. Don’t.
Once you have shredded the potatoes, put them in a large bowl filled with cold water. Leave them in there for five minutes, drain. Place the potatoes in a dishtowel and squeeze out as much water as possible.
In a large saute pan, heat a few tablespoons of olive oil. Open your package of chicken sausage.
Remove the casings by slicing your knife lengthwise down the center of the sausage. The casing should peel right off. Add the sausage to the oil.
Using a wooden spoon break up the sausage, and saute until cooked through. Add the cooked sausage to a 9 x 12 or 8 x 11 casserole dish.
In the same saute pan as the sausage, melt 2 TB of butter and add the hashbrowns. Spread out the potatoes so that they are in one layer and leave them for about 5 minutes before flipping them with a spatula.
Continue cooking the hashbrowns, flipping occasionally, until they are crispy and golden. Add the hashbrowns to the casserole with the sausage. Add 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
In a bowl, add 8 eggs, 1 cup half and half, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 TB hot sauce (I used Frank’s Red Hot), 1 tsp Kosher salt, and 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper.
Whisk everything together.
Mix all ingredients together so that the egg mixture is evenly spread.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 min.
Serve with some extra hot sauce. Enjoy!!
- 2 large Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 2 TB olive oil
- 2 TB butter, organic if possible
- 5 chicken sausages, casings removed
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I used Cabot)
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 TB Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Shred the potatoes and immediately place them in a bowl of cold water. Let the potatoes soak for 5 minutes. Drain the potatoes and place them in a dish towel. Squeeze out as much water as possible.
- In a large saute pan, saute the sausages (casings removed) breaking them up with a wooden spoon. Once the sausages are cooked through, place them in an 8 x 11 or 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- In the same pan, melt the butter and add the hashbrowns. Let the hasbrowns cook for about 5 minutes on each side until crispy and golden. Add the hasbrowns to the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the hashbrowns and sausage.
- In a bowl, add the eggs, half and half, hot sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Whisk until combined.
- Pour the egg mixture over the sausage and hasbrowns.
- Bake the casserole at 350 for 30 min.
- Serve with some extra hot sauce, and enjoy!!