I just cannot stop with casseroles lately. I am on a serious quest to health-ify casseroles. This one was a MAJOR winner. So.. the deliciousness continues… Enjoy!
Start by cooking about half the package of whole wheat egg noodles according to package directions.
While the noodles are boiling away, saute some onions and garlic in some olive oil over medium heat. Toss in a little salt and pepper for extra flava. Yes, that’s flava. It’s better then flavor.
Once the onions are translucent, throw in 2 packages of sliced mushrooms. I slice my own, but do as you please. Add a little more salt and pepper… aka flava.
Cook the mushrooms until all their juices evaporate.
Sprinkle 2 TB of flour over the mushrooms and stir until the mushrooms are coated in the flour. They should get kinda sticky.
I a 2 cup measuring cup, add 1 cup of milk, 1 cup chicken stock and 2 tsp’s each of garlic powder and onion powder. Slowly pour the milk and stock mixture over the mushrooms stirring constantly. Bring the sauce to a very low boil so that it thickens up.
To the mushroom sauce, add the pasta noodles, 2 cups of shredded chicken breasts and (about 2 breasts) 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper.
Stir until combined and then pour into an 8 x 11 casserole dish.
Pour the can of Amy’s (or other organic soup that has NO preservatives) mushroom soup over the noodles and stir until combined.
Over the top, sprinkle 1/2 Panko and 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese over the top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Then broil for 3 minutes so the top gets brown and crispy.
Spoon into a bowl and enjoy! Serve with a green salad.
- 1/2 package of whole wheat egg noodles
- 2 TB olive oil or organic butter
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 - 8oz containers of mushrooms, sliced
- 2 TB flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 cups shredded chicken (2 breasts)
- 1 can ORGANIC Cream of Mushroom Soup (I used Amy's)
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 tsp fresh black pepper.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Saute the onion and garlic in 2 TB of either olive oil or organic butter over medium heat. Add 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp fresh black pepper.
- When the onions are translucent, add the mushrooms and another 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper.
- When all the juices from the mushrooms have evaporated, add the 2 TB of flour to the mushrooms and stir until the mushrooms are coated with the flour.
- In a 2 cup measuring cup, add the milk, stock, garlic powder and onion powder and slowly pour over the mushrooms, stirring contstantly until combined.
- Allow the sauce to come to a low boil so that it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Add the cooked noodles and shredded chicken and mix until combined.
- Add the remaining 1 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of pepper.
- Pour the noodle mixture into a casserole dish. (I used an 8 x 11 dish)
- Pour the can of soup over the noodle mixture and stir until combined.
- Sprinkle the Panko and Parmesan over the top of the casserole.
- Bake at 350 for 30 min.
- Broil for 3 min until the top is brown and crispy.
- Serve with a crisp green salad. Enjoy!
- Shred the breast meat of a rotisserie chicken to avoid having to cook the chicken.