This cheese sauce works for sooo many dishes. You can pour it over cooked pasta to make macaroni and cheese, drizzle it over nachos, or incorporate it into a casserole like Cheesy Turkey Casserole!
Start by melting 2 TB of butter.
When the butter is melted, add 2 TB of flour.
Whisk the flour into the butter for about a minute so that it forms a golden roux.
Then pour in two cups of 2% or whole milk.
Continue whisking for approximately 1 – 2 minutes longer until the mixture begins to steam and thicken.
Add in 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
Whisk the cheese, 1/2 tsp Kosher salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper into the milk until it melts and forms a creamy sauce. Taste for seasonings.
- 2 TB butter, organic if possible
- 2 TB flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, yellow or white
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Heat the butter over medium heat in a saute pan.
- Sprinkle in the flour and whisk the butter and flour for approximately one minute until fully incorporated.
- Slowly whisk in the milk. Continue whisking for approximately 1 - 2 minutes longer until the mixture begins to steam and thicken.
- Mix in the shredded cheese, 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper into milk mixture and stir until cheese is melted. Taste for seasonings.
- If the milk doesn't seem to be thickening, allow the milk mixture to heat through and come to a very low boil. Continue whisking or stirring and it should thicken quickly. Once the mixture thickens be sure to lower the heat so that it does not continue boiling.