These bowls are a ridiculously easy way to eat healthy, and get your veggies, protein and fiber in one dish. Best part: The leftovers taste even better.
Start by placing 4 chicken breasts in a crock pot. I didn’t add anything to them, just the 4 chicken breasts all alone. Set your crock pot on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours.
When the chicken is done, shred it using two forks and pour over the enchilada sauce. I made my own, but you can buy it. Be wary of hidden preservatives in canned enchilada sauce.
Put the cover back on, and while the chicken is warming, cook 1 cup of quinoa according to the package directions.
Spoon about 1/2 cup of quinoa into a bowl.
Spoon over chicken.
Add any toppings you like!
I used shredded cheese, thinly sliced cabbage, cilantro, avocado, some sliced red onion and sour cream. Feel free to add jalapeños, black beans and a good squeeze of lime!
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 cups enchilada sauce (or 1 16 oz can)
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- Desired toppings such as: shredded cheese, cabbage, red onion, baby kale, jalapeños, cilantro, sour cream, hot sauce, lime, etc.
- Cook 4 chicken breasts in the crock pot for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- When cooked, use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Pour the enchilada sauce over the chicken and mix until combined.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Spoon 1/2 cup quinoa into bowl.
- Spoon shredded chicken over quinoa.
- Add desired toppings. Enjoy!
- If necessary, add a few splashes of chicken stock to the chicken and enchilada sauce to achieve desired consistency.