It’s fall. sigh I love fall. Just love it.
So, let’s do fall. Let’s do a luscious mushroom lasagna with creamy white sauce (also known as béchamel).
Béchamel sauce is a classic white sauce that has a touch of nutmeg, which works perfectly with the nutty flavor of the mushrooms.
I love this dish for special occasions, special friends, and (fall) nights where you just feel extra special. While this lasagna isn’t the most diet friendly, each ingredient is what it is and nothing more.
Here we go…
Slice up three 8 oz containers of mushrooms. I used baby Bella mushrooms but use whatever you like! Sauté those mushrooms in a few tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat.
When the mushrooms start to get soft, add 1 TB of fresh thyme, 2 tsp of Kosher salt and 1 tsp fresh black pepper.
Cook the mushrooms down until all the liquid is gone (about 10 minutes). Set the mushrooms aside.
To make the béchamel, melt 5 TB of butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
Once the butter is melted, sprinkle in 1/4 cup of flour and whisk the flour and butter together to form a roux.
Add 2 cups of milk, slowly. Then, add 2 more cups of milk (4 cups total) and continue mixing. In 3 – 5 minutes the mixture should begin to get thick, so that it covers the back of a spoon. Be patient. It will happen.
Once the sauce has thickened, whisk in 1 tsp Kosher salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and 1 tsp of nutmeg.
Now to assemble the lasagna…
Pour a spoonful of sauce in the bottom of an 8″ x 11″ casserole dish.
Then, add one layer of no-boil lasagna noodles. Use whole wheat if you can find them.
Then another spoonful of sauce, enough to cover the noodles.
Add half the mushrooms.
Over the mushrooms, sprinkle 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese.
Repeat with noodles, sauce, other half of mushrooms, and Parmesan cheese.
Then add one last layer of noodles, sauce and sprinkle cheese on top.
Bake in the oven at 375 degrees for 45 min.
Let cool for 10 minutes, slice and enjoy!
- 1 1/2 lbs baby Bella mushrooms (24 oz)
- 3 TB olive oil
- 1 TB fresh thyme
- 5 TB butter - organic if possible
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 lb no-boil lasagna noodles (or regular boiled ones if you prefer) - whole wheat if possible.
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tsp Kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp of fresh ground black pepper, divided
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degree
- If using regular lasagna noodles, boil water and cook noodles according to package directions.
- Slice the mushrooms and sauté in olive oil over medium heat. After the mushrooms begin to soften add 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper and the thyme. Mix into mushrooms and continue cooking until all liquid has evaporated. Set mushrooms aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and whisk in flour until combined. Slowly whisk in the first two cups of milk. Once combined whisk in remaining two cups of milk. Stir sauce until it begins to thicken so that it coats the back of a wooden spoon. It should take about 3 - 5 minutes. Once thick, whisk in remaining salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- To assemble lasagna, spread 1/2 cup of sauce in 8" x 11" lasagna pan or casserole dish. Layer noodles over sauce. Spread 1 cup sauce over noodles, covering noodles completely. Pour half the mushrooms over the sauce and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat once more with noodles, sauce, other half of mushrooms and 1/4 cup cheese. Finish with a last layer of pasta, sauce and cheese. Bake at 375 for 45 min. Allow lasagna to cool 10 min before serving. Enjoy!