Would you like some wine with that chicken? Yes please.
This recipe is so simple and my favorite part… no labels. Every ingredient is what it is.
To start, slice your onion into medium sized rounds.
Place at the bottom of the crock pot insert.
Sprinkle 1 tsp Kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper over the top.
Sprinkle 2 tsp of fresh thyme over the top.
Slice 1 lemon into rounds and place over the top of the onions.
On top of the onions put 4 chicken breasts, organic if possible. Salt and pepper the chicken breasts with 1 tsp Kosher salt and 1/2 tsp of fresh black pepper.
Slice 1/2 of the other lemon into rounds and place the slices over the top. Reserve the other half of the lemon.
As a note, the lemon rinds when cooked will end up having just a slight bitter flavor, which I really love. If you don’t like that, then leave off this step and just put the lemons under the chicken and not over, which will reduce that flavor. Or, just squeeze the juice of the two lemons over the chicken and leave the slices out all together!
Chop 3 cloves of garlic.
Sprinkle the garlic over the top of the chicken. Squeeze the juice of the other half of the lemon over the chicken and pour 1/2 cup of white wine (not cooking wine, normal “I want to have a glass of you, or three” wine) around the sides of the chicken and onions.
Set your crock pot on low for 8 hours.
When you get back, this will be waiting for you…
Shred the chicken into big chunks. The lemons will literally dissolve into the sauce as will the onions.
Spoon over some quinoa (preferably leftover from the Kale Quinoa salad you made the night before) and serve with some fresh greens! Amaze!
- 4 chicken breasts, organic if possible
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 lemons
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tsp Kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa for serving, optional
- Slice the onion into medium rounds. Place the onion at the bottom of the crock pot and sprinkle with 1 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of pepper and the fresh thyme.
- Slice 1 of the lemons into rounds and place on top of the onions.
- Place the 4 chicken breasts on top of the lemons and onions and sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. Slice half of the other lemon and place the rounds on top of the chicken. Reserve the other half of the lemon for juicing.
- Chop the garlic and sprinkle over the chicken. Squeeze the lemon over the top of the chicken and pour the white wine around the chicken.
- Set the crock pot on low for 8 hrs. When finished, shred the chicken into large pieces. The lemon and onions should melt into the sauce. Spoon the chicken and juices over the quinoa and serve with a salad or fresh greens.
- The lemon rinds when cooked will end up having just a slight bitter flavor, which I really love. If you don't like that, then leave off this step and just put the lemons under the chicken and not over, which will reduce that flavor. Or, just squeeze the juice of the two lemons over the chicken and leave the slices out all together!